Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hello Yoga, Long Time No Practice



It must be about 20 years that I haven't practiced Yoga. Yoga used to be my favorite exercise. But I was too lazy to leave the house to take courses, so I practiced Yoga at home alone for a while when I was 30 lbs lighter. I like Yoga because it sculpts and tones muscles and is relaxing. I used to be able to stand on my head, to stand with one leg for a length of time and my flexibility was not amazing but was not laughable either. All of those seem to be distant memory. For all these years, I have not had any desire to pick it back up, just like my plants, I forgot about it. What a shame.
It just happened a colleague at work decided to teach Yoga class one day a week right after work in the office' lunch room. It could not be more perfect for a lazy person like me. Since I haven't practiced for a long time, I was not sure if I still like Yoga so I went for a trial without much preparation, i.e., literally I just showed up. Another co-worker lent me a mat, I joined the practice in my work clothes. My memory must not be good for I remembered my group Yoga experience before was mostly lying on the back doing breathing exercise so I don't expect to sweat a drop.
To my surprise, the exercise is strenuous, not a piece of cake as I remembered. I kept thinking I must be getting old for towards the end I was sweating like a pig. This is a totally different experience. But seems the old familarity is coming back, I felt good about the practice although my balance is off at one point. That was when we were doing a posture that we had to turn body to one side with one arm in the air and the other arm on the floor. When we changed to do the other arm, I kept thinking to move my arm back a little bit in order to keep my body straight, then just a little too much to the back I fell to my back. That was amusing to me. I understand Brain is probably playing a trick on me on the balancing act. No harm at all.

No comments: